We are Rachel’s Network.
Named in honor of Rachel Carson, we are a community of women funders committed to a safer, healthier, and more just world for all. Our members occupy over 100 director positions on the boards of major environmental organizations and give close to $60M a year combined – through personal and foundation grants and investments – for the benefit of our planet.
Here are some of our Rachels.
Alison co-launched Safer Made, an impact-driven venture capital fund pioneering “benign by design” innovation to reduce toxic chemicals in supply chains, products, and processes.
Betsy developed ReFED, a collaborative of food businesses, environmental organizations, investors, policymakers, and innovators, who are working together to end food waste.
Marianne started the Delaware, Ohio chapter of Citizens Climate Lobby in 2014. There, she organizes local residents to have constructive conversations about climate change with their elected officials.
Fern Shepard, President
Fern has over 30 years of experience in the environmental community, first as a staff attorney with Earthjustice and later as a senior officer managing international lands conservation programs at The Pew Charitable Trusts. She has worked on issues ranging from securing threatened and endangered species habitat to protecting children and at-risk populations from lead contamination and dangerous pesticides. Fern is vice chair of Earthjustice’s Board of Trustees and is a mother of three.
Ariana Carella, Network Engagement Director
Ariana leads community engagement; facilitates our membership’s collective funding and action activities; and handles fundraising, recruitment, and board reporting. Prior to Rachel’s Network, she held positions at the American Alliance of Museums. In her free time, she is a member and volunteer instructor for Hear Me Code, a DC-based women’s coding community, and writes and performs sketch comedy.
Erica Flock, Communications Manager
Erica oversees the Network’s website, blog, annual report, social media, and newsletter. She’s also worked in communications and marketing for EarthShare, the National Wildlife Federation, Kumarian Press, and Citizens Climate Lobby. Her writing has appeared in Climate Progress, Rust Wire and the Piedmont Virginian. She’s an advocate for climate policy, the Great Lakes, and sustainable planning & transportation.
Anna Card, Program Manager
Anna oversees the Network’s events and meetings, and supports member advocacy programs. Prior to joining Rachel’s Network, Anna was with Global Zero as Project Manager, working on nuclear nonproliferation and disarmament. In her free time she’s workshopping her writing, curating the perfect playlist, and finding any opportunity to slip away to the Adirondacks.
Mit Allenby, Operations Manager
Mit manages operations, bookkeeping, and databases and provides support for member services. Prior to Rachel’s Network, she held positions at Norwich University, Goddard College, and the Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation. Mit is a 2017 Chesapeake Regional Fellow with the Environmental Leadership Program.
Board of Directors
- Kef Kasdin, Chair
- Molly Ross, Vice Chair
- Fa Liddell, Secretary
- Ann Hunter-Welborn, Treasurer
- Kathy Borgen
- Martha Davis
- Caroline Gabel, Chair Emerita
- Marianne Gabel
- Barbara Gonzalez-McIntosh
- Charlotte Hanes
- Laurie Kracum
- Annarie Lyles
- Janet Miller
- Winsome McIntosh, Founder
- Abigail Rome
Environmental Leadership Liaisons
Our Liaisons are women CEOs of influential national or international environmental and social justice nonprofits who provide high-level expertise and keep us connected to nonprofits that share our goals.
- Margie Alt, Executive Director, Environment America
- Nan Aron, Founder and President, Alliance for Justice
- May Boeve, Executive Director, 350.org
- Keya Chatterjee, Executive Director, US Climate Action Network
- Jamie Rappaport Clark, President and CEO, Defenders of Wildlife
- Suzanne Ehlers, President and CEO, Population Action International
- Katie Frohardt, Executive Director, Wild Earth Allies
- Seema Jalan, Executive Director, Universal Access Project
- Janis Searles Jones, CEO, Ocean Conservancy
- Annie Leonard, Executive Director, Greenpeace USA
- Jaime Matyas, President and CEO, Student Conservation Association
- Stephanie K. Meeks, National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Theresa Pierno, President and CEO, National Parks Conservation Association
- Rhea Suh, President, Natural Resources Defense Council
Circle of Advisors
Our Advisors are women leaders in their fields of importance to our community who provide high-level expertise and keep us connected to nonprofits that share our goals.
- Rev. Sally Bingham, President and Founder, Interfaith Power & Light
- Dr. Helen Caldicott, Founder, Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Paula DiPerna, Special Advisor, Carbon Disclosure Project – North America
- Dr. Sylvia A. Earle, Oceanographer and Explorer-in-Residence; National Geographic Society
- Kathryn S. Fuller, Chair, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
- Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, Founder, Jane Goodall Institute and Gombe Stream Research Center
- Hazel Henderson, Founder, Ethical Markets Media, LLC
- L. Hunter Lovins, Founder and President, Natural Capitalism Solutions
- Carolyn Merchant, Professor of Environmental History, Philosophy, Ethics, UC Berkeley
- Julia Olson, Esq., Executive Director & Chief Legal Counsel, Our Children’s Trust
- Janelle Orsi, Esq., Executive Director & Co-Founder, Sustainable Economies Law Center
- Nora Pouillon, Author, Chef and Founder, Restaurant Nora
- Carolyn Raffensberger, Executive Director, Science and Environmental Health Network
- Vicki Spruill, President and CEO, Council on Foundations
- Whitney Tome, Executive Director, Green 2.0
- Debbie Walsh, Director, Center for American Women and Politics, Rutgers University
- Alice Waters, Author; Chef and Owner, Chez Panisse Restaurant
- Terry Tempest Williams, Author, Naturalist, and Conservationist
Founders’ Circle Members
These 18 women started Rachel’s Network in 2000 with a shared a commitment to conservation.
- Sally Brown
- Harriet Bullitt
- Gladys Cofrin
- Caroline Gabel
- Annette Gellert
- Renee Ingold
- Sidne Long
- Alysia May
- Winsome McIntosh, Founder
- Dane Nichols
- Christine Russell
- Jocelyn Sladen
- Victoria Stack
- Barbra Streisand
- Margery Tabankin
- Leslie Turner
- Lynde Uihlein
- Carolyn Weinberger
About Rachel Carson
Rachel Carson was a scientist, ecologist, and writer who courageously advocated for policies that protected human health and the environment. Her research and writing spurred the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency and the modern environmental movement. Buoyed by her vision and audacity, we continue her legacy of fighting for the safety of our communities and our planet.